Symptoms of Menopause

New Life OutlookNew Life Outlook New Life Outlook
edited October 2014 in Symptoms

Menopause article: Symptoms of MenopauseSymptoms of Menopause

There are many symptoms of menopause you may notice, including irregular periods, hot flashes and insomnia. Learn more about them here.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I've been experiencing all of the above since I turned 40. But am seeking counseling, more involved in getting closer to God. I tend to listen to motivation videos on YouTube. Has helped me.
  • Yes Kelly Jo, I experienced that several times earlier this year.
  • Yes Kelly Jo, I experienced that several times earlier this year.
  • a common symptom that I did not see listed is Gastrointestinal discomfort. I noticed that I have developed a motility disorder as a result of perimenopause. I suffered for a year and was diagnosed with IBS before the doctors even considered it could be hormonal. GI doctors, Psychiatrists, psychologists, Primary care doctors...etc...they are all ill informed and ill prepared to diagnose conditions related to this.
  • I was tested and they say at 50yrs I am in menopause. I have had the nights sweats prior and as soon as I turned 50 the hot flashes started. So I bought fans and hand held fans. Phew it comes out of know where. The only thing I am having is hand and feet discomfort at night. It feels like my hands ( mostly) are swollen or bruised. No one can figure what that is from. SO I bought the Nutribullet and started with all the drinks and some of them are quite tasty. Still no progress with the hands. Thou my hot flashes have gone( for now) not sure if its the Nutribullet or the Estrase vaginal cream.
    Any one have any thoughts or experienced the hand problem. Good luck to us all..
  • A friend of mine has suffered severe hot flashes after colon cancer. Her doctor gave her super high doses of potassium to take every single day because of some other problems she was having. Side effect from taking all that potassium? Her hot flashes went away!! Miraculous! I've never seen anyone have hot flashes as bad as she did.
    After over a year of suffering they are now gone!
  • My last period was in March of 07, and its 2015, and symptoms are worst. My mother died of breast cancer, so hormones treatments out of he question. I did start taking Lydia Pinkham Herbal tablet supplement, 3 times a day maybe its beginning to work.
  • I am having migraines during , after or before my periods. Usually only one day in length. I was prescribed imitrex , but I really dont want to take it. Any other ways to get rid of them?
  • Been going through perimenopause for about 2 years. I'm 48.
    Night sweats, severe anxiety/panic at times, heart palpitations etc... My most upsetting is vaginal itching and abnormal discharge. Been to my OB several times but there are no cures for it. Please let me know if anyone out there is experiencing the same & let me know what you do for it.
  • Magnesium will help with the migraines.
  • @leeannlookingforward. Try taking magnesium when you start getting your migraine.
  • Do not know what to do! Weight gain, hot flashes and sleeping issues! Do not take anything!! This has been going on since 2008! Would love some suggestions!
  • I've been dealing with Hot Flashes and Night sweats since I was 28 now I'm 47 and they got worse my Ob suggested Estroven. I've been taking Estroven Maximum Strength for a year says to take 1 a day but didn't work for me so I take 2 took three months too stop them but I don't have them anymore!!!! If I back off taking them they come back so I try to remember to take them everyday! When I say they were getting worse I would have 8 to 10 an hour and now I have none!!! They have one for weight gain to.
  • @edmondsnc1 Estroven helped me !
  • I am 2 days short of 52. I just started to have irregular period but the thinning hair, weight gain, moodiness, vaginal dryness, insomnia, joint pain, memory problem, lack of sex drive, have been my complaint. No hot flashes, thank God! The price you pay for being a woman!
  • I'm 49 soon to be 50. I've had the hot flashes for years. My last period was March of 2014 then I just got one this month is that normal?
  • DawnDawn Member
    I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer at the age of 43 and due to my age and the chemotherapy, I've started into menopause. I've also had to have a Hysterectomy which probably didn't help too much, but I was told it shouldn't make things worse. My Oncologist said that said that since I was "thrown" into menopause possibly before my body was ready to go into it on its own, my menopausal symptoms may not be very pleasant. Well, he wasn't kidding!!! I'm trying medications 3 & 4 to help with the hot flashes and night sweats and I've got the EVIL mood swings from HE**!!!!!!!!!!!! You can just ask my husband!! :) I cry at the drop of a hat; I get jealous, hurt, sad, angry, pissed, all at the same time in a matter of minutes if someone says or posts something wrong. How do you deal with this????????????????????????
  • I appreciate every comment,all the advice and the comfort it brings to not feel like I'm completely alone. I am 50,and the worse parts for me are the extremely heavy periods,migraines,"Power Surges" (aka Hot Flashes/Night sweats) Mood swings and of course, "The FOG" ! Lol. (My family is constantly making fun of this) I'm learning to hydrate more, tried Estroven...Didn't work for me...but everybody has a different chemical make-up. DON'T give up My Sisters...We will eventually come through...and some of us,like myself,might even have grown a "backbone"! Lol
  • jenjen Member
    I never comment on these things but I have severe symptoms and I am now taking bio identical hormones...a cream I rub on my thigh. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic...this was life changing for me
  • juliesjulies Member
    edited March 2015
    I too don't ever comment on forums like these, but, I thought I would share my story from the past three years. First, I will say that I am now 48 (49 in June) and had a complete hysterectomy when I was 30 due to a long battle with endometriosis. I wasn't supposed to be able to have a second child, but I was blessed with a son at 23 and a daughter at 28, so, when the doctor suggested a hysterectomy, I knew that I at least had my babies.

Ok, fast forward to 2012. Never in my life have I suffered from headaches, but in January of 2012, I started suffering from daily headaches, ringing or a fullness in my ears, mild to moderate anxiety, achy joints, waking up sweating at night, tingling sensations throughout my body and vertigo (feeling like I am on a boat). After several months of testing with no positive results (blood tests, MRI's (brain), CT scans of my sinuses, etc) months of physical therapy, and doctors wanting to put me on anti-depressants used to treat migraines (no thank you), I just resolved myself to thinking that I would have a headache and aches and pains for the rest of my life. I thought to myself, "this is the new me!...great... : ( "

In June, the aches were milder, the headaches were a little more controlled, I fought my anxiety with continued exercise, but, my tongue started having this burning sensation. Well, here I go again to the doctors and all I got was a head tilt and a hhhmm, I really don't know. And then a "let me research that a little bit and I'll get back with you." I will say that I never heard back from the doctor until my next appointment.

Each year, I had blood work done, additional MRI's on spine at the request of my neurologist, additional visits to the ENT with no answers for my headaches, vertigo and other symptoms.

Suffice to say that I AM still living, I have fought this battle of symptoms and most have decreased over time. Although many have told me that there is no way that I could be going through any type of menopause because I had a complete hysterectomy (no ovaries), I dare to differ with them.

I made the decision a while ago to take this on myself and research to try and do everything I can to make my body healthy. Although I haven't had any issues with anxiety for a while, the fullness feeling in my ears is minimal if at all, the burning tongue sensation went away about a year ago, I still suffered from headaches (some call it tension, others call them migraine) and over the past year had suffered from vaginal dryness to the point of pain during intercourse and started to see more hair loss. And the vertigo was still ongoing almost on a daily basis.

In December, 2014, I took on my new heath style. I've always worked out and eaten somewhat healthy, but, decided to take it a step further. On December 15th, I went cold turkey and completely stopped drinking any type of caffeine to include no consumption of chocolate (sad face) and started focusing on eating whole foods as much as I could. I make sure and take a multi-vitamin, but I also make sure I get enough Vitamin D and B-12.

Since that time, my headaches have decreased to maybe 2 a month, my vertigo comes and goes, but, is getting better over time and I seem to be getting my energy levels up. My hair loss seems to be getting better and I treat the vaginal dryness with a lubricant and a low level estrogen cream (I don't do pills if I don't have to).

I hope you found this long drawn out story helpful if any of you are experiencing some of the same symptoms. I thought I was going crazy at first, but, I have come to realize over time that this is just an aging process that many women will have to go through. Hopefully, most women will never have to experience symptoms to my extent, but, if you do, go to your doctor first to rule out any crazy stuff. But, if everything comes out 'normal' in their eyes, this 'menopause monster' may just be what you're experiencing. God bless you all.

Julie Shelton, Norman
  • ksvksv Member
    Does anyone experience a tingling or tightening of their throat? I have had this in my legs as well. Comes and goes. Very alarming as sometimes it feels like my throat is closing up on me. I try not to get anxious about it, but it is quite disturbing. Just hoping I'm not alone in this.
  • ChaosChaos Member
    I'm experiencing all the symptoms you ladies are Speaking about. Hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety, severe mood swings, forgetfulness, can't concentrate, thinning hair. I can experience every mood to its severity within minutes. Sometimes I feel like I'm goin crazy; or become paranoid that people are trying to drive me nuts or make me believe I'm really psycho. I've been dealing with all this crap for goin on 7 yrs??? Ive started taking estrogen and it actually helps alot with the night sweats and hot flashes... Wish i could predict when the end of this would get here. Luckily I have a very patient and understanding husband; but if I can't get control over these mood swings I'll Probly be able to see a divorce in my near future...
  • SheilaSheila Member
    Gabapentin sure took care of all my symptoms....
  • AlyssaWinegardenAlyssaWinegarden New Life Outlook
    @julies Thank you SO much for sharing that with us! I would love for you to share your story on a larger platform so more of our community members can see it - I know it would be inspiring for them to read. If you're interested, you can submit your story by filling out the form, here: https://menopause.newlifeoutlook.com/submit-your-story/

Sincerely,
    Alyssa
  • JhiggsJhiggs Member
    I am 49.I didn't have a period for 4 months then bam! It starts up again. Hot flashes but not too bad. No mood swings...yet. But I hurt all over all the time. So stiff in the mornings I can barely get out of bed and sometimes my hands feel swollen and "asleep" when I wake up. Is this normal? I'm wondering if I need to have my thyroid checked or maybe be checked for fibromyalgia...or is this just menopause?
  • Carnelian66Carnelian66 Member
    edited August 2015
    I am 49 and am perimenopause. I have had weight gain. Heart palpations Ringing in the ears and severe anxiety!!! For me the anxiety is the worse. I really don't want to take medication but sometimes it's so severe I feel out of control. It's been happening at work !! Plus I cry at the drop of a hat! Help suggestions please.
  • GracieGracie Member
    All of this has been quite helpful. It lets me know I'm not alone. I've experienced quite a few of these, in fact, most of them. The hormone therapy is working however, I had to be off of for a period of time and my life was like being in a nightmare. It was as of every symptom magnified 3x and some which them here. Thanks!
  • LisamLisam Member
    I haven't been to the doctor yet. I'm 45 have had my uterus removed 3 years ago. I have a 16 year old daughter who stI'll menstruates. At that time of the Month I get anxiety and numbness and tingling on the left side of my face, I don't have medical right now and can't afford to go to the doctor. Does anyone else experience this?
  • LisamLisam Member
    @Jhiggs I am 45 and I have the same thing when I wake up, numbness in arms and hands.
  • LisamLisam Member
    @julies I don't understand. I read that if you have your uterus and ovaries removed that you immediately go through menopause. I was reading your post and they were saying to you that because you had them removed, that you shouldn't go through it? Well you definitely are.
  • I have all of these and I'm 32 wow that's crazy systems I notice more weight I gain to

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR