Stages of Menopause

New Life OutlookNew Life Outlook New Life Outlook
edited January 2015 in Awareness

Menopause article: Stages of MenopauseStages of Menopause

Understanding these stages of menopause will help you to understand and prepare yourself for what's coming.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Does anybody have any information on Bioidentics?
  • Its the anger, frustration, and moodiness that is driving me crazy. I was never this mean. Sometimes I feel like I hate all people. Oh, and the things I think of doing when my man angers me. :/
  • Do they have support groups for menopause???
  • emaneman Member
    This article has some inaccuracies. Read Dr. John Lee's book, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause, ( he also has one on Premenopause). Our estrogen drops a little, but PROGESTERONE drops significantly more. Progesterone is the hormone that balances estrogen. Too much estrogen is the cause of all the breast, uterine and ovarian cancers. Progesterone is produced when we ovulate, during menopause, we stop ovulating and thus, have dramatically lower levels. Estrogen is not only produced in the ovaries, it is produced in fat cells AND we are exposed to it in our environment, so we tend to have too MUCH. THIS is what causes the mood swings, anxiety, fibrocystic(lumpy) painful breasts, just to name a few. Dr. Lee does NOT advocate synthetic hormones. Fortunately, progesterone can be purchased withou a prescription. He lists a number of reputable brands in the back of his book (all bio-identical). Bio- identical is the ONLY way to go. There are more and more doctors that deal with bio-identical, you just have to do some research in your area. Keep in mind that insurance companies do not typically cover bio-identical. I have found tremendous relief from using the progesterone cream. You can order it on Amazon for around $40 for two jars. You only use 1/4 to 1/8th tsp. twice per day, so it lasts quite a while.
  • amysamys Member
    You have what is known as "post ligation/post ablation syndrome"...... I know because I have it too! And sometimes I get periods that are so painful I pass out. That happens because there is scar tissue in parts of the uterus and the menstrual blood gets trapped up under the scar tissue with no where to go. Probably the reason for your enlarged uterus as well. My MD had to go in (yup), open my cervix a bit to allow the menstrual blood to flow out and prevent further damage. Ugh..... I wish you a lot of luck. I will be starting on a progesterone only pill (at 49!) to prevent further periods.
  • I hate myself since menopause. I was a "late bloomer" and did not really start (at least symptoms) until 57-58. I gained 25 pounds within 6 months out of nowhere and have not been able to get it off. I was the same weight for 25 years and now I look like I am 6 months pregnant. I never ever had a belly. Nothing fits. I can't remember half of what I am supposed to do and feel like I am in a fog half the day. I can't have sex because it hurts. My doctor says "eat clean" work out, give up going out, having a drink, etc. She has put me on this bio-identical and that one but nothing works and my life has changed so much. She says to accept this and be comfortable with my new body. What?? I want my old life back!! it is not fair that I have to change everything ..I hate salmon, kale, raw carrots & am so sick of salad..I have switched to almond milk, have protein shake for breakfast, & eat so much chicken that I think I am going to grow feathers. Chicken and salad is just about all I eat when I eat. And I have not lost one pound. Not one. In two years. I am told to accept that my old life is over and I either make peace with this new body or I quit one of my 3 jobs I have to work to survive so that I can get up at 5 AM to exercise more than I already do and learn to love rabbit food. I know this is not everyone's experience, so forgive my whining. My sister gets medication and she is fine and hasn't gained a pound. I wish I were dead and can't wait for this life to be over. I hate looking in the mirror and I cry and cry when I look at all the clothes in my closet I can never wear again..and cry some more because I am no longer doing a good job on any of my 3 jobs..because I can't remember what I am supposed to do half the time. I sleep 5-6 hours a night since I am always so far behind in my work and I am exhausted. This is a horrible thing for a woman to have to go through and it is so incredibly unfair. Just my rant. I am sure others do not feel this way - most of my friends have either become gym addicts or they have resigned themselves to a fat belly and bigger clothes..and being forgetful. They think I am making more out of it than I should. I can't help it. I have had more than a few struggles and bad things in my life like everyone but none that have devastated me as much as this ..I have lost myself. I want to be me again. I just want to be me again. I don't know the person in the mirror anymore and I feel like I have lost a loved one and I just can't get over it. Then I hate myself for feeling sorry for myself when others are going through so much worse. That is my menopause experience.
  • @losingme I'm right there with you, sister, although at 48. Close enough that I almost wonder if you bugged my phone, lol. I had just bought a completely new wardrobe for a new job/ promotion - all slim fit button down dress shirts, slacks, skirts etc. Shoes too. Can't button a one now due to boobs that blew up 2 bra cup sizes suddenly, and a round pot belly that just keeps growing like something out of "Alien" (rest of me only showing effects of lost muscle.) Most of the people that tell us to "Accept it" are NOT intrinsically motivated people. Sorry, Type A all my life, worked my a** off in everything I have done, and like your 3 jobs and frustration indicates, never accepted the status quo as enough. Menopause is proof God is a man, is what I've been saying jokingly because what woman would create this mess?

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR